RESEARCH IN PROGRESS
- “Occupational Choice and Agricultural Labor Exits in Sub-Saharan Africa.” African Development Bank Group Working Paper, No 244, October 2016.
RESEARCH IN PROGRESS
- “A robust profitability assessment tool for targeting agricultural investments in developing countries: modeling spatial heterogeneity and uncertainty” with Julianne Quinn, Andrew Simons, Leslie Valteramo, and Joshua Woodard.
- “The myths of ‘subsistence farmers’ and ‘missing markets’” with Christopher B. Barrett and Brian Dillon.
- McCullough, EB. 2017. Labor productivity and employment gaps in Sub-Saharan Africa. Food Policy 67 (February 2017): 133-152.
- McCullough, EB., P.A. Matson. 2011. Evolution of the knowledge system for agricultural development in the Yaqui Valley, Sonora, Mexico. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. May 23, 2011.
- Gómez, M.I., C. B. Barrett, L. E. Buck, H. De Groote, S. Ferris, H. O. Gao, E. McCullough, D. D. Miller, H. Outhred, A. N. Pell1, T. Reardon, M. Retnanestri, R. Ruben, P. Struebi, J. Swinnen, M. A. Touesnard, K. Weinberger, J. D. H. Keatinge, M. B. Milstein and R. Y. Yang. 2011. Research Principles for Developing Country Food Value Chains. Science 332 (6034): 1154.
- Jacobs, K., L. Lebel, J. Buizer, L. Addams, P. Matson, E. McCullough, P. Garden, G. Saliba, and T. Finan. 2010. Linking knowledge with action in the pursuit of sustainable water-resources management. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. January 11, 2010.
- Omiti, J.M., D.J. Otieno, T.O. Nyanamba and E.B. McCullough. 2009. Factors influencing the intensity of market participation by smallholder farmers: a case study of rural and peri-urban areas of Kenya. African Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 3 (1): 57-82.
- Galloway, J.N., M.B. Burke, G.E. Bradford, R. Naylor, W. Falcon, A.K. Chapagain, J.C. Gaskell, E.B. McCullough, H.A. Mooney, K.L. Oleson, H. Steinfeld, T. Wassenaar and V. Smil. 2007. International trade in meat: The tip of the pork chop. Ambio 36 (8): 622.
- Burke, M., K. Oleson, E. McCullough, and J. Gaskell. 2009. A Global Model Tracking Water, Nitrogen, and Land Inputs and Virtual Transfers from Industrialized Meat Production and Trade. Environmental Modeling and Assessment 14 (2): 179.
- Falcon, W.P., R.L. Naylor, W.L. Smith, M.B. Burke and E.B. McCullough, 2004. Using climate models to improve Indonesian food security. Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies 40 (3).
- McCullough, E.B., P.L. Pingali, and K.G. Stamoulis (eds). 2008. The Transformation of Agri-food Systems: Globalization, Supply Chains, and Smallholder Farmers. London, UK: Earthscan Press, 381pp.
- McCullough, EB., PA Matson. 2012. Linking knowledge with action for sustainable development: a case study of change and effectiveness. In PA Matson (ed). Seeds of sustainability: Lessons from the birthplace of the Green Revolution in Agriculture, Washington DC: Island Press, pp 63-83.
- Matson, P., Luers, A. and EB McCullough. 2012. Exploring vulnerability in the Yaqui Valley human-environment system. In PA Matson (ed). Seeds of sustainability: Lessons from the birthplace of the Green Revolution in Agriculture, Washington DC: Island Press, pp 83-92.
- Schoups, G., L. Adams, D. Battisti, E. McCullough, and JL Minjares. 2012. Water resources management in the Yaqui Valley. In PA Matson (ed). Seeds of sustainability: Lessons from the birthplace of the Green Revolution in Agriculture, Washington DC: Island Press, pp 197-230.
- McCullough, E.B., P.L. Pingali, and K.G. Stamoulis. 2010. Small farms and the transformation of food systems: an overview. In R. Haas, M. Canavari, B. Slee, C. Tong, and B. Anurugsa (Eds) Looking East Looking West: Organic and quality food marketing in Asia and Europe. Wageningen, The Netherlands: Wageningen Academic Publishers, pp 47-85.
- Pingali, P., and E. McCullough. 2010. Drivers of Change in Global Agriculture and Livestock Systems. In H. Steinfeld, H. A. Mooney, F. Schneider, and L.E. Neville (Eds) Livestock in a Changing Landscape: Drivers, Consequences, and Responses. Washington, DC: Island Press, pp 5-10.
- Tobgay, S.K. and E.B. McCullough. 2008. Linking small farmers in Bhutan with urban consumers: the importance of market access. In E.B. McCullough, P.L. Pingali, and K.G. Stamoulis (eds) The Transformation of Agri-food Systems: Globalization, Supply Chains, and Smallholder Farmers. London, UK: Earthscan Press, pp 235-258.
- Omiti, J.M., T. Nyanamba, E.B. McCullough and D. Otieno. 2008. Factors influencing diversification of smallholder agriculture in Kenya. In E.B. McCullough, P.L. Pingali, and K.G. Stamoulis (eds) The Transformation of Agri-food Systems: Globalization, Supply Chains, and Smallholder Farmers. London, UK: Earthscan Press, pp 259-278.
- Buck, H.J., D.F. Flannelly, E.B. McCullough, J.D. Quinn, and A.M. Simons. 2013. Targeting soils interventions in Ethiopia: A research agenda based on improved soil resource and fertility data. Report prepared for the Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency, June 2013.
- McCullough, E.B., M. Mulford, and N. Jensen. 2012. Improving the quality and effectiveness of U.S. Food Aid: Local and Regional Procurement. Policy briefing document prepared for the Congressional Research Service, June 2012.
- McCullough, E.B. 2005. Coping With Drought: An analysis of crisis response in the Yaqui Valley, Mexico. M.S. Thesis, Earth Systems Program. Stanford, California: Stanford University, 45pp.
- McCullough, E.B. 2003. The responses of montane shrubs to spatial and temporal climate variation. Undergraduate Research in Behavior, Ecology, and Evolution 1 (1): 1-7.